"We shall never know all the good that a simple smile can do." ~Mother Teresa

Monday, January 30, 2017

Monthly Art Journal Collaboration - Love is Worth Noting

Hello friends!
I hope you had a good weekend!  We are almost done with the first month of 2017 already!  Before you know it, we will be looking forward to Spring!

Today I have another 2 pages that I've created to add to my Art Journal book!
**For those of you just following along:  I have joined together with my talented blog friend Asha from Sunny Summer Crafts to inspire each other through our Art Journal Pages and share them on our blogs on a monthly basis with you to maybe inspire our other crafty friends too.  Perhaps you will be inspired to give AJ pages a try!  This is something new to both of us and we just want to share our love of crafting through this wonderful mixed media art form.  If you would like to see my past AJ pages, you can CLICK HERE to have a look at them all.**

I had actually started my page in a totally different direction than from where I went with this and then one page wasn't large enough, so I turned it into a two page design:
The reasoning for my color choices was from my husband.  His favorite color is blue.  There are more photos of this, but the piece of paper with writing on it shown on the right side is an actual note that my husband left me a while back.  I loved it so much, I saved it and decided to use for inspiring this AJ layout.

I've added many layers on top of this and I'll try to explain everything the best I can with it.
To start out with, I have decided that since I was making my own book and the paper that I was using for these was 9 x 12 in size, I just decided to cut one sheet in half and have that be the size of pages so I don't have to waste or trim down any excess of it.  So one side of this layout (one page) measures 9"x 6".  (As I keep making these AJ pages, they don't seem to be large enough for me for some reason?!  LOL!)  I started both of these pages by giving them a good coat of white gesso and then layering on some blue and cream colored paints.  I also took some Lumiere paint and mixed it with some blue/teal colored pearl ex powders and stamped the large dotted and outlined hearts over the painted background. I took my paint brush and made some splatters with this same mixture as well. (You can see a closer look at the details of this in the photos below.)  After that was dry, I then took some torn strips as well as some die cut hearts from some print type papers that I had in my stash.  (I thought you could also use some old books or something for this.)  I used my multi-medium matte to attach them on the pages.  First I did the torn strips and then added the hearts over top in layers.
I put the hand-written note on last after the hearts.  I took my Faber-Castell Pitt markers to add some shadows and highlights to these torn papers and hearts.  Then I took a stencil and added some gold texture luxe in random places.  Lastly, I took the MFT "Well Connected" alphabet stamp and stamped some lettering on the same print paper and cut them out to attach to the layout and used the markers for shadow for that as well.  I die cut the "love" sentiment with gold foil paper and layered about three of them to get the dimension and added shadowing around that as well.
The edges of the pages were done with the Faber-Castell Pitt markers as well.

So here's a look at the first page on the left:
Here you can better see the shine from the gold foil card stock on the "love" as well as the shine from the texture luxe stencil.  I forgot to mention that I've also taken some Inka-Gold and rubbed over the stenciled areas for a little more gold coloring in those areas as well as around the words.

Here's an even closer view of the details:
This shows a bit more texture from the page and you can see how shimmery that dotted blue heart is in the background from the Lumiere Pearl Ex paint that I've used.  The whole layout is so shinny that it almost look like complete metal.

Here's the second page on the right:
The note that my husband wrote I took this particular section of it and ripped along the edges of it and attached it and covered it with Multi-Matte Medium.  I purposely wanted the wrinkles in it and I tried to highlight some of it with ink.  I used the Faber-Castell Pitt markers to make the shadows around it.

My husband leaves me notes every single day, so this is just one of many many notes that he gave me.  I thought with the "season of love" approaching, this would be something worth noting! :)
I hope you've enjoyed my AJ page today!

If you'd like to see more Art Journal inspiration, then I hope you'll stop by my friend's blog, Asha to see what she has created too!  I'm sure it will be amazing as always! :)   I can't wait to see what she has come up with!

Thanks so much for stopping by!  See you soon!

-----------------------------------
HUGS & SMILES
*Vicki*

CHALLENGES:
1.  Art Journal Journey - Tell me a Story (love story)

2.  Mod Squad - Show Your Love

3.  Mixed Media Monthly (January) - Put a stencil on it

4.  Try It On Tuesday - Anything but Square

5.  Jo's Scrap Shack {Fun Day Friday} - Always Anything Goes!

43 comments:

Macimbalo said...

These pages are so gorgeous, so many beautiful details and they come together perfectly! Thanks so much for playing along with us at  The Mod Squad Challenge Angie, Challenge Host

Linda Simpson said...

Fabulous pages Vicki, love the background and great sentiment too.
Hugs
Linda xxx

Margreet said...

Gorgeous pages Vicki...great colors and I find that you have a very caring husband when he leaves you so much darling notes! I'm jealous☺☺
xxx Margreet

Chrissy said...

FABulous art journalling pages Vicki..love your techniques especially the gold foil..I think the note from your husband is gorgeous and love the background,textures and colours..

Luv CHRISSYxx

My name is Erika. said...

I love this Vicki. Those gold texture spots really make the page. :) Glad you joined in with us over at AJJ. Thanks for sharing. Erika

jimlynn said...

Gorgeous! So much creativity and talent showing. Love these pages.
Lynn

Pia S said...

It's so fun to do these little challenges with other card makers. I think you did a great job with these artsy pages. i love the colors you've used. But what really gave me that 'awwww' feeling is the note from your hubby. Such lovely words and love that you made this piece around his note. Very special:)

Tammy said...

Oh WOW your pages are gorgeous Vicki!! I love the colors, textures and the beautiful hearts! The note from your hubby is an awesome touch to this work of art!
Hugs, Tammy

Diane said...

Your stamp journal pages are just gorgeous Vicki.

Hugs Diane

Meggymay said...

Gorgeous journal pages with lovely details. It is a wonderful note you added from your husband. Thank you for sharing your post and pages with us at Try it on Tuesdays.
Yvonne

Donna said...

I look forward to you monthly journal page and this one is fabulous! That note is a treasure and to think your husband does this every day, that is a true treasure. How fitting to use his favorite color and to make it a Valentine month page, it is amazing Vicki!

JD/ Jill said...

Such creativity! What a note! My hubby leaves me notes too. It's his letters when we first met...that won me over...

JD/ Jill said...

Thanks for sharing these pages...it's on my wish list to do an art journal..Thank you too for the lovely comments you put on my blog.

Lori Kobular said...

Vicki this is gorgeous! I love the colors and the hearts and that love die! I have to get around to trying an art journal one day! I bought the journal about a year ago and haven't done anything with it yet!

Mac Mable said...

Oh Vicki I have really enjoyed reading this post. How wonderful your husband leaves you messages and what a beautiful one you've chosen to hi-lite in your journal. Amazing mixed media talent. Love the colours, the techniques and the texture. You look as if you really enjoyed doing this x Great work too with joining up the alphabet MFT stamps/letters x

Babs Watson said...

Oh how lovely what a sweet message from your husband, and it fits perfectly in your beautiful coloured pages Vicki, the gold and your hearts and die are all gorgeous too.

Hugs Babs x

crafty-stamper said...

Fabulous journal pages Vicki love all the texture and layers of paint and the little note is just beautiful
Carol x

laurie said...

Vicki, these are just beautiful! I love all the details and textures!

Carol L said...

Your journal is a fabulous work of your artistic skills, but can I just say how fortunate you are to be loved so dearly by your caring, thoughtful husband? I'm impressed, and I'd have saved that note forever too, because it's such a priceless expression of how deeply he cares about you! You lucky girl you!!

aussie aNNie said...

Oh I so love this journal page, absolutely awesome..colours, texture, what a way to play...xx{aNNie}

Davi said...

Awesome job VIcki!! I love the textures and the newsprint hearts! The blues give it a wonderful soothing look :)

Debra K. said...

Fabulous journal pages Vicki! So much lovely colours and textures going on. I really like the blue shiny hearts. You're a lucky woman to have a hubby who leaves notes for you especially one as beautiful as this. Debra x

Asha said...

Oh my word!!! What an amazing page, my friend. I love the colours and the warm glow of the gold is just perfect . The texture in the background... I want to reach out and touch it- The little note from hubby... that is written straight from the heart. There is love in every word. And that is what makes this page so special ... it really is all about LOVE. I hear what you say about the pages not being big enough... you definitley need more room for your talent. Can't wait to see what you'll create next month! I am LOVING our collab.
BUG HUGS Asha

Monika Reeck said...

wooowww
this is stunning Miss Vicki
I adore the colors the texture and your creativity
I never made similar like this
and two thumbs up for you my friend
Love!
hugs
Monika

Jo - Jo's Scrap Shack said...

WOW Vicki this is stunning!!! I remember you just starting on this AJ journey with your friend and I remember in that first blog post where you showed your very first AJ page, how you said you were new to this and were nervous but you were going to challenge yourself to do it. Well my friend, I am so glad you are continuing with it because you have a natural talent with mixed media and AJ'ing for sure! These pages are absolutely gorgeous! I love everything about~ but most importantly, I love the fact that it centers around your best friend and partner in life. It is very meaningful. I am so shocked that he hand writes you notes daily!!! What man does that??? You truly have a very special man there! He even has neat handwriting for a guy! I love how you preserved this note of his... and that it touched your heart in such a way that you mimicked that feeling and used hearts all around the page... and to honor him a little more, you used his favorite color blue. Very sweet pages!! Please don't forget that our challenges are always anything goes now... please link up! This is gorgeous! I hope you have a wonderful day and I cannot wait to see more of your AJ pages! Also thank you for the sweet comment that you left me on my blog!!! I so appreciate it. :)
Hugs,
Jo
♥ Jo's Scrap Shack ♥

froebelsternchen Susi said...

This are absolutely fantastic pages - with this beautiful note you got from your husband!
I am so pleased you showed them linked to our January theme over at Art Journal Journey! I hope you will visit us next
month again - such beautiful art is always very welcome !!!!
xxx
Susi

pearshapedcrafting said...

What beautiful pages! How lovely to have little notes from your hubby too! So pleased you joined us at Try It On Tuesday! Chrisx

froebelsternchen Susi said...

And I forgot to mention:
Thank you for joining TioT!

coldwaters2 said...

Oh my these are absolutely gorgeous Vicki the colours are amazing the design and sentiments are awesome, love them
hugs
lorraine x

Heidi Stamps said...

I think so often we see art journals with really wild colors, but I am really loving the way you got this great artsy look with more subdued tones. It is truly beautiful!

DIANA L. said...

Beautiful card, the colors are so pretty and I love the love sentiment on gold

Deb said...

This is stunning Vicki, I love how you created such a beautiful background for your note and sentiment. Your creativity is a huge inspiration to me! hugs Debxx

Fiki said...

love it!
its gorgeous!

MiamiKel said...

Sensational my friend! The Colors are so rich and vibrant and this blue just pops !! Love the little stenciling in your handwritten note - a wonderful work of art! Such a great idea to have an art journal! Hugs!!!

DIANA L. said...

Beautiful card, the colors are so pretty and I love the love sentiment on gold

Wishcraft said...

Aww what a lovely hubby you have! Love how you've used his note, fab details and colours :o) Hugs, Lisa x

Shelly Schmidt said...

I just love these pages! I love all of the texture, and the gold, and the foiled paper LOVE. How sweet of your hubby to leave you notes : ) I bought some supplies to Art Journal....... I did make a couple of pages : ) A great challenge for you and Asha!

craftygalslife Tammi Lynn said...

Beautiful card and love the colors. Thank you joining us over at Jo's Scrap Shack Fun Friday.

Tammi, DT

NanaConnie said...

This is too gorgeous, my friend! Loving the soft background and the hearts made from text paper. Lovely design for these 2 pages.

Lola said...

Oh my so beautiful and so much texture. The note is SO touching. What a wonderful husband.

Jerrie said...

Love this mixed media...your husband has a great eye~~

Team Clark said...

Vicki, this is one amazing spread! I totally love the colors and mix of metallics here. Simply stunning, my friend! Hugs, Autumn

Rhonda Miller said...

I love your page. That note is so sweet.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...